The new IsatPhone Pro 2 was recently released by Inmarsat, and the second generation handheld phone includes some new and very compelling features and improvements:
1. Speed. In terms of the time it takes to register the phone with the network, The IsatPhone Pro 2 is night and day compared to the Generation 1 IsatPhone. The phone registers to the network within a couple of seconds, practically instantly, compared to the 1-2 minutes or more it would take with the Gen. 1.
2. New antenna design. What is important about this feature is that the new antenna design allows it to be exposed while stowed, so this phone will receive inbound notifications without having the antenna deployed. The way this works is if there is an inbound SMS or phone call, the phone alerts you that there is an inbound call or message and gives you a 10 second period of time to deploy the antenna and receive the call or message. You can also reject this notification in which case a call would go through to voice mail and a message would stay on the network server until the next time you connect. The phone includes a specially designed holster that allows this function to work with the phone stowed in the holster.
3. Built in tracking. The Gen. 2 phone now has automated tracking built into it, and it is fairly easy to set up. It also has a switch built in that allows you to turn tracking on and off. The previous generation phone was limited to manual GPS position reporting.
4. Built in SOS/Emergency Alert button. The Emergency Alert button is on the top side of the phone underneath a weatherproof cap. You are able to set up emergency contacts that can receive an email or SMS message with your GPS position, and it can simultaneously place a phone call with speakerphone automatically enabled as well.
5. Weatherproofing. The IsatPhone Pro 2 has a much higher grade weather resistant design and has been tested to IP65 standards.
6. Battery life. The IsatPhone Pro 1 already had the largest battery capacity in the market, and the Gen. 2 has exceeded it with a battery that provides 160 hours of standby time and 8 hours of talk time.
7. Upgraded screen. The high visibility, scratch-proof, transflective display makes it easy to view whether in the dark or in bright sunlight.
8. Form factor. This phone version is a bit thinner than the previous design at 29mm (Gen. 1 is 39mm). It is, however, wider at 75mm (compared to 54mm) as a result of the antenna being off to the side which is what allows the incoming alert feature. One thing they couldn’t do with this model is cut out weight, and in fact the Gen. 2 phone weighs in at 318 grams compared to the Gen. 1’s 279 grams.
9. Finish. The sleek black finish is definitely an improvement over the previous “Inmarsat royal blue” and the designers gave it a textured finish as well as some handy rubberized grips on the side walls.
Overall, for the amount of additional features, increased functionality, and improved durability, the IsatPhone Pro 2 is well worth the additional cost or simply as an upgrade from the IsatPhone Pro 1.